Customer is a video distributor that has over 50,000 hours of foreign video content in their content library. Customer has been trying to establish their own cable and satellite channels in the United States but has not been successful. Customer found out cost requirements from cable and satellite companies simply did not make any business sense. With highly deployment of broadband worldwide, customer would like to establish their own IPTV service right over the Internet. Below is a list of customer’s requirements:
- Number of Video Subscribers - Customer would like support 50,000 initial subscribers and add additional 100,000 subscribers each year for the next 3 years. The customer would eventually like to expand to over 1 million subscribers.
- HD Video - Customer would like to offer HD content to premium customers.
- Streaming Over the Internet - Customer would like to use the Internet as their video transport. Customer is not impressed with some of the existing video downloading services due to poor video quality and slow video loading. Customer would like a streaming solution over the Internet where subscribers can play a video as soon as they select it.
- View On TV or PC - Customer would like to give subscribers the option to watch videos on their large HDTV or on their PC.
- Expandable - Customer would like an IPTV system that’s fully scalable to support their current requirements and future growth.
- Remote software/firmware update - Customer would like a system that has minimal truck roll. They would like to remotely manage all the PC and STB clients.
- VOD Support - Live TV is not a requirement. Customer would like to put all 50,000 hours of video content onto their VOD servers for customers to pick and choose from.
- Viewing Ratio - Customer anticipates that at any given time, at least 10% of its subscribers will be watching videos simultaneously.
- Minimal Integration Cost - Customer does not have a large IT staff that can support a complicated IPTV deployment. Customer would like a system that will be easy to deploy, manage and support.
IPTV Requirement List
After reviewing the customer requirements, MatrixStream decided to recommend the following equipment list for deployment. Because MatrixStream’s MatrixCast IPTV solution is an end-to-end solution, customer does not have to spend months to integrate an IPTV solution from multiple vendors. The following a list of equipment required:
- 2 IMX M2200 IPTV middleware servers. 1 for management and another for redundancy.
- 6 IMX v2420 VOD MatrixCast Streaming servers to support VOD. 5 IMX v2420 can support up to 6,000 simultaneous SD streams. At the same time, each server can back up the other through N+1 clustering design.
- 6,000 MX 1 IP STBs – Fully able to support HD 1080p videos. Students can hook up MX 1 IP STB to their HDTV at home to watch class videos.
- Customized MX 1100 PC viewer with customer’s logo – PC clients will be made available to students for download off customer’s Website. Students can watch videos on their PCs.
Video Content Provider IPTV Example Deployment Diagram
Below is the deployment diagram for the customer.